Shopping for a feather mattress topper to make your bed softer and cooler?
You’ve come to the right place.
A feather mattress topper is one of the best ways to make your bed cooler. It can greatly improve your sleep quality if you are struggling with a hot memory foam mattress, or if you just naturally sleep hot.
A feather mattress topper can also help reduce or manage your night sweats by improving airflow and wicking away moisture.
A feather mattress topper is also great for softening a too-firm mattress.
Generally, feather mattress toppers contain a combination of goose or duck feathers and down. But you’ll also find some that blend in polyester microfiber to lower the cost. Most come with a cotton cover.
Feather mattress toppers are not cheap (compared to down alternative and foam mattress toppers), but they are a worthwhile upgrade for your bed, and sleep.
What’s In This Buying Guide?
In this in-depth buying guide, we review the best feather mattress topper you can order online.
We also discuss everything you need to know about feather mattress toppers and pads, including their construction, benefits, downsides and what to look for when buying one.
Who Should Buy A Feather Mattress Topper?
- Hot sleepers looking for a cooling mattress topper/pad. A feather mattress topper has better cooling performance compared to synthetic microfiber mattress pads.
- Owners of firm mattresses who want to add moderate softness to their bed. A feather mattress topper provides pressure relief without making your bed overly soft or reducing support.
- Anyone shopping for a natural or partially natural mattress topper.
- Those looking for a lightweight mattress topper/pad that’s easy to move around. A feather mattress topper is great if you plan to use it in different places – on your bed, on a futon, on the sofa etc.
Best Feather Mattress Toppers
- Best to Soften a Firm Mattress – Puredown White Goose Feather Topper
- Best Luxury – Parachute Down Mattress Topper
- Best for Deep Sleep – Allied Essentials White Down and Goose Featherbed
- Best for All Seasons – Bluestone Duck Feather Topper
- Best Value: Rose feather Goose Down Feather Mattress Topper
- Best for Pressure Relief: ELEMUSE Extra Thick
- Best All-Natural: Pacific Coast Cotton Luxe Loft Feather Bed
- Best Budget: Lavish Home 100% Duck Feather 2″ Gusset Topper
- Best With High Fill Power: Quince Luxe Downtop Featherbed Mattress Topper
- Best Down-only Mattress Topper: Down & Feather Co. Snuggle Soft 800 Goose Down Mattress Topper
|Mattress Topper||Award||Material||Loft||Fill power|
|Puredown White Goose Feather Topper||Best for a firm mattress||95% goose feathers, 5% down & down-alternative. Cotton cover||3”||N/A|
|Parachute Down Mattress Topper||Best luxury||85% down, 15% down & feathers. Cotton cover||3”||N/A|
|Allied Essentials White Down and Goose Featherbed||Best for deep sleep||Down & goose feathers. 300TC cotton cover||2”||550|
|Bluestone Duck Feather Topper||Best for all seasons||5% down, 95% duck feathers. 233TC cotton cover||4”||N/A|
|Rose Feather||Best value||20% down & 80% goose feathers. 233TC cotton cover||2”||550|
|ELEMUSE ||Best for pressure relief||Down, down-alternative & goose feathers. 400TC cotton cover||Not specified||Not specified|
|Pacific Coast ||Best all-natural||Feathers. 230TC cotton cover||Not specified||N/A|
|Lavish Home||Best budget||Duck feathers & 233TC cotton cover||2”||N/A|
|Quince Luxe||Best with high fill power||Down & feathers. Cotton cover||3”||650|
|Down & Feather Co.||Best down-only||100% goose down||2”||800|
1. Best to Soften a Firm Mattress – Puredown White Goose Feather Topper
Many people require a firm mattress that can maintain the back posture, but it is difficult to sleep on firm mattresses used for this purpose. Feather mattress toppers like the Puredown White Goose Feather Topper are an ideal way to add some softness to such arrangements.
This way, you get not only extra support for your back but also soft bedding for your muscles to relax.
- Two types of stuffing; polyester and white goose feather.
- The outer cover is made of 100% cotton to give a smooth and gentle surface.
- Made with expertly selected, cleaned, and disinfected material.
- Baffle box construction is reinforced with elastic bands for maintaining structure and easy setup.
- Double-needle stitching keeps the feather in place, preventing mattress deformation.
- Needs to be fluffed daily for optimal structure and comfort.
Several things make this feather mattress topper an excellent choice for using over a firm mattress. It has two layers. An upper layer is filled with 75% goose feathers and polyester, while the lower layer has natural white goose feathers.
The use of two layers in the design keeps the feathers in place and prevents them from poking out. As a result, the users get a nice and soft mattress to sit or lie on.
Moreover, the baffle box construction keeps the mattress from shifting. This mattress has smaller-sized stitched squares on its shell that further aid in preventing poking and shifting of feathers.
At the underside of the mattress, there are elastic bands that you can use to fit the topper over the harder mattress. With the elastic bands in place, the mattress topper does not move or slip out of place as your turn during your sleep.
You would hear no crunching or cracking sounds from the topper, thanks to the expertly selected material that it is composed of. All the material used in this mattress is diligently selected, and cleaned to ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
To make things as comfortable as possible, the topper is covered in a cotton cover. The 100% cotton cover is gentle on the skin and breathable. These features prove especially helpful for people who get allergies to other types of fabric material.
The breathability ensures that even though the topper is soft and plush, it does not make the user sweat.
We would not recommend this mattress for those who want a low-maintenance mattress that does not need regular fluffing. For optimal comfort, you will need to fluff this mattress almost every day. People with a busy lifestyle might find this task time-consuming.
If not fluffed, the mattress does not hold structure for a very long time.
2. Best Luxury – Parachute Down Mattress Topper
The Parachute Down Mattress Topper costs more than most other feather mattress toppers. But it offers more luxurious comfort.
It contains more down than other toppers (15% instead of the usual 5%), making it softer, plusher and cooler.
- Features premium, all-natural European white down fill for a luxurious feel.
- Made with 85% down and 15% down and goose feather fibers.
- Outer cover is made with 100% sateen cotton to enhance the breathability of the mattress.
- 3D baffle box construction prevents feathers from shifting.
- Comes with a three-year warranty.
- Has a gusset height of three inches, which might not provide enough softness for using over a firm mattress for some users.
Suitable for all age and weight groups, the Parachute Down Mattress Topper gives great value for the money. A dual-chamber design supports two layers for enhanced comfort.
These layers contain 85% down feather and 15% of goose feather fiber. The European fill is authentic and of premium quality, so there is no compromise on softness.
To prevent feather shifting and keep them evenly distributed, the mattress topper features a three-dimensional baffled design that ensures support for the fill from all sides to maintain its structure for the longest time possible.
With a fill power of 550, you get a luxurious five-star feel from the mattress that is bound to leave your body well-rested and energized.
The mattress is suitable for all sleeping styles, including the side and stomach. It also provides good support to those who suffer from back pain.
However, we would not recommend this option for people looking for a topper for putting over a firm mattress. With a three-inch gusset height, the Parachute mattress topper might not provide enough plush and softness for many users.
Moreover, this mattress needs dry cleaning and is not compatible with wet wash.
All things considered, this mattress ensures a comfortable experience at a reasonable price. It gives a good deal for the money as it comes with a three-year warranty as well.
3. Best for Deep Sleep – Allied Essentials White Down and Goose Featherbed
A good mattress topper can help enhance sleep and make the user feel more rested. Our next pick, the Allied Essentials White Down and Goose Featherbed, is widely celebrated as one of the mattress toppers that ensure a restful sleep.
- Dual-layer design with a soft and fluffy upper layer and a supportive bottom layer.
- 550 fill power provides extreme comfort and cradles the body.
- The fill is Responsible Down Standard certified to ensure customer’s safety.
- Hypoallergenic 100% cotton cover is gentle against the skin and prevents respiratory issues.
- 300 thread cotton design prevents poking of feathers and seepage of liquid into the mattress.
- Prone to slipping off the bed with excessive tossing and turning.
Filled with certified feathers, the plush and soft Allied Essentials White Down and Goose Featherbed makes it feel like you are sleeping among the clouds. The pillow-like surface relaxes the tense body, inviting a blissful sleep.
Featuring a dual-layered design, the mattress topper consists of ultra-soft white down and goose feathers. The top layer has a down fill that makes it plush and soft. The upper layer's turtle top construction makes it fluffy, allowing the body to comfortably sink in it.
The layer at the bottom is filled with goose feathers for extra support. Together, a fill power of 550 is achieved in this mattress.
To ensure that users are not subjected to unhygienic or dirty fill, the company gets its fill certified for Responsible Down Standard. Furthermore, the cover surrounding the two layers is hypoallergenic and made completely with cotton.
This ensures that users do not get any rashes or hypersensitive reactions from the mattress.
The 300-thread count forms a close-knit network so that the feathers do not poke out and irritate the sleeper. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can get a full refund or replacement from the company without any questions asked.
Combining all these factors together forms a very soft and durable mattress topper that helps enhance sleep for its users. Those who have trouble relaxing their body at night and lose sleep in the process will find this mattress topper very beneficial.
4. Best for All Seasons – Bluestone Duck Feather Topper
A good mattress topper should provide the perfect balance of heat retention and breathability. Balanced temperature retention makes the mattress usable throughout the year during different seasons. Our last pick, the Bluestone Duck Feather Topper, is one such option.
- Filled entirely with duck feathers.
- Cover is made entirely out of cotton and has a thread count of 233.
- 95% duck feather and 5% down feather give a soft and breathable fill.
- Very lightweight and easy to fluff.
- Four inches of height cushions the body and relaxes the muscles.
- Needs proper fluffing every day.
A lightweight mattress also means that it is quite breathable. The Bluestone Duck Feather Topper weighs only nine pounds, which shows that it has a fluffy and airy interior. However, that does not mean that the mattress does not get warm at all. A cold mattress is uncomfortable to sleep on.
For optimal sleep during summer, the mattress should match the body temperature. In winter, layering with a duvet or blanket helps retain heat inside the mattress, making it warm and cozy.
However, the Bluestone Duck Feather Topper gives the same perfect balance of breathability and warmth. As a result, it is deemed suitable for use under all weather.
The filling of the mattress is sourced entirely from duck feathers. It consists of 95% duck feathers and 5% down feathers. This proportion gives a soft feeling to the body and, at the same time, provides support to it as well. This topper too features a cotton cover with a thread count of 233.
The high thread count prevents the feathers from falling out and maintains structural integrity. This also ensures that the feathers do not stick out and trigger sneezes.
A height of four inches makes it usable over firm mattresses as well. However, for optimal conditions, it needs refluffing every day. All in all, this mattress topper is a great option for those looking for something that could be used year-round and maintain its softness.
5. Best Value: Rose feather Goose Down Feather Mattress Topper
If you want the best bang for your buck, we recommend the Rose Feather goose down mattress topper. It’s a high-quality and comfortable mattress topper that’s affordably priced.
- Good value for money.
- No down-alternative – natural goose down and feather only.
- Higher down content than most toppers.
- Soft and plush.
- Sleeps cool.
- The outer cotton cover is a bit rough.
Many feather toppers cost the same or even more than the Rose Feather topper and contain a mix of natural and synthetic filling.
In contrast, the Rose Feather topper has an all-natural filling consisting of goose down and feathers. You are getting a high-quality topper for the price.
Not only is the filling all-natural, but it also contains a higher proportion of down than most feather toppers. Instead of the usual 5% down, the Rose Feather topper has 20% down and 80% feathers.
The higher quantity of down makes it softer, improves cooling performance, and ensures you don't get poked by feathers.
The 100% cotton cover provides extra breathability and cooling.
With a 2-inch loft, the Rose Feather topper adds a nice amount of padding to your mattress. It won’t hug your body as deeply as a memory foam topper, but it’s great if you want to soften your mattress just a bit.
3D double-stitched baffles keep the down and feathers from shifting and ensure the topper maintains its loft (though you still need to fluff it regularly).
To keep the Rose Feather topper in place on your bed, there are four corner straps that fit under mattresses up to 16 inches thick.
The only issue customers have pointed out is that the cotton cover feels a bit coarse. That’s probably because it has a 233 thread count. That’s good but it doesn't have the silky soft feel of 300+ thread count cotton covers.
If it bothers you, you can place a soft sheet on the mattress pad.
6. Best for Pressure Relief: ELEMUSE Extra Thick Fusion Goose Down Feather Mattress Topper
The ELEMUSE feather topper is one of the thickest and plushiest you are going to find. It’s a great choice if you want a topper that cushions your back, shoulders, hips and other pressure points.
The topper uses double layers to provide deep pressure relief.
- Extra-thick feather mattress topper for deep pressure relief.
- Great for side sleepers and body aches.
- Great for firm mattresses.
- Extra-soft cotton cover.
- Sleeps cool.
- It’s not all-natural — it contains a mix of down and down alternative.
The manufacturer doesn't specify the thickness of the feather topper, but it’s pretty fluffy according to customers.
The ELEMUSE topper has two layers. The top layer contains what the manufacturer calls fusion down. This is a mix of natural goose down and high-quality synthetic down-alternative (microfiber).
This mix delivers extra soft comfort while maintaining good temperature and moisture regulation. It provides better pressure relief compared to feather mattress toppers with just a thin layer of down on top.
The bottom layer contains 100% feathers. This layer adds to the softness of the topper while providing some support.
The two layers are wrapped in a 400 thread count cotton cover. It’s super soft and highly breathable.
The ELEMUSE feather topper is great for softening a very firm mattress. We also recommend it for side sleepers and those with body aches.
Setting up the ELEMUSE topper is easy. Instead of straps that can be problematic, it uses a deep elastic skirt/pocket to secure to your mattress. The skirt fits mattresses up to 21 inches thick.
We’ve not seen any customer complaining about the filling shifting. The baffles keep everything well contained.
The only issue with the ELEMUSE topper is that it’s not all-natural. If you want to completely avoid synthetic down alternative, this is not the right feather mattress topper for you.
7. Best All-Natural: Pacific Coast Cotton Luxe Feather Bed
If you want an all-natural feather mattress topper — no polyester or down-alternative — we recommend the Pacific Coast Luxe feather bed.
It contains just natural feathers wrapped in a 100% cotton cover.
- All-natural feather topper.
- Great for hot sleepers.
- Baffle construction to prevent shifting.
- Affordable for an all-natural topper.
- Not ideal for those looking for an extra-soft mattress topper.
- Needs frequent fluffing.
- The feathers can sometimes poke you.
The Pacific Coast topper is nowhere near as plush as the double layer ELEMUSE topper above. But it’s a great choice if you don't want any synthetic materials in your topper.
The Pacific Coast topper has an all-natural filling of feathers wrapped in a 100% cotton cover.
The all-natural construction is not only more eco-friendly, it also provides better cooling performance. So if you sleep hot, the Pacific Coast topper is a great pick.
Comfort-wise, the Pacific Coast topper provides a decent amount of padding. It’s a good choice if you want to soften your mattress without sinking into it.
The Pacific Coast topper does have a few issues. For one, it flattens easily. Each night, you have to fluff it up.
Secondly, the feathers sometimes poke you despite the barrier weave of the cover. This is probably because the topper doesn’t have a thick layer of down covering the feathers.
To keep the feathers from poking you, users recommend placing a blanket or a thick bed sheet over the topper.
8. Best Budget: Lavish Home 100% Duck Feather 2″ Gusset Topper
Looking for an affordable feather mattress topper? The Lavish Home feather topper is one of the cheapest ones you’ll find.
It contains 100% duck feathers and comes with a cotton cover.
- Low price.
- Softens a firm mattress.
- Sleeps cool.
- Baffle box construction to maintain loft.
- Doesn't offer deep pressure relief.
- The feathers can sometimes poke you.
The Lavish Home duck feather topper is one of the most affordable all-natural mattress toppers you can find. It’s cheaper than latex, wool and most feather toppers.
The Lavish Home topper contains just duck feathers. That’s probably the main reason it’s cheaper than other feather toppers that have a mix of feathers and down.
It’s not quite as plush as a down and feathers topper, but it’s soft enough to reduce discomfort on a firm mattress.
But if you are looking for a feather topper you can sink into, try the ELEMUSE Extra Thick or the Parachute Down mattress toppers instead. They offer deeper pressure relief especially for side sleepers.
The Lavish Home topper comes with a 233TC cotton cover. The breathable cover combined with the feather provides great cooling and moisture wicking.
If you are a hot sleeper, get night sweats or have hot flashes, the Lavish Home Topper will make your nights more comfortable.
One thing to watch out for is the feathers poking you. There’s no layer of down to keep the feathers from poking through the cotton cover.
But a blanket or thick sheet over the topper should fix the issue.
Overall, the Lavish Home topper is a great buy for the price. It’s all-natural, offers a decent amount of cushion on a firm mattress, and it keeps you cool.
9. Best With High Fill Power: Quince Luxe Downtop Featherbed Mattress Topper
The quality of down pillows, comforters, and mattress toppers is measured in fill power. A feather and down mattress topper with high fill power is softer has more loft and it lasts longer.
The Quince Luxe Downtop featherbed topper has a fill power of 650, more than any other down topper we’ve come across. It’s one of the most comfortable and long-lasting feather toppers on the market.
- High fill power.
- 2-layer construction.
- Extra-thick 3-inch loft for added comfort and pressure relief.
- 100% cotton cover.
Fill power is a good indicator of the quality and comfort of a feather and down mattress topper. Most feather toppers have 550 fill power. The Quince Luxe Downtop has 650 fill power, which is why it feels so luxurious.
It’s packed with more down than most feather toppers. This gives it a softer and plusher feel that is especially great for side sleepers and those with body aches.
The high 3” loft allows the topper to hug your body, but you won’t feel like you are sinking in too much. You’ll still enjoy support from your mattress.
One customer describes the feeling as ‘floating yet supported’.
The Quince featherbed topper has two layers. The top layer contains the 650-fill power down. The bottom layer contains hypoallergenic feathers.
This double-layer design ensures the feathers don’t poke you.
The two layers are wrapped in a 100% cotton cover. Of course, the cover is stitched into baffles to keep the filling from shifting.
The Quince mattress topper does a great job when it comes to cooling. It doesn't contain any synthetic microfiber to trap heat. It’s super breathable and the cotton cover and down filling easily wick away sweat.
The only downside of the Quince Luxe mattress topper is the price tag. If you are shopping on a budget, consider one of our cheaper picks instead.
10. Best Down-only Mattress Topper: Down & Feather Co. Snuggle Soft 800 Goose Down Mattress Topper
Looking for a seriously luxurious feather and down mattress topper? Look for one that does away with the feathers and contains just down.
The best one around is the Snuggle Soft goose down mattress topper by Down & Feather Co. Just keep in mind that it costs more than most mattresses.
- Extra high fill power.
- Pure down filling delivers a super luxurious sleeping experience.
- Excellent pressure relief.
- Sleeps cool.
Manufacturers usually mix feathers and down to create a comfortable topper that's not too expensive. But if budget is not an issue, you can find a high-end luxury mattress topper that contains just the good stuff – down.
With 800 fill power, the Down & Feather down mattress topper not only contains pure goose down, but lots of it.
It feels really soft and plush, and it’s guaranteed to last for years (it comes with a 10-year warranty).
If you want that ‘sleeping on a cloud’ feeling, the Snuggle Soft topper delivers exactly that.
It’s also cool and breathable since natural down has excellent temperature and moisture regulation. The 100% Long-staple Egyptian cotton cover provides additional cooling.
Because it’s more delicate compared to a down and feather topper, the manufacturer recommends only spot cleaning to keep the topper clean. For additional protection, consider placing the topper under a breathable waterproof mattress protector.
The main issue with the Down & Feather down mattress topper is the price. It currently costs over $2,000, making it more expensive than some luxury mattresses.
If you are shopping for an affordable or even a mid-range feather mattress topper, this is not it.
Feather Mattress Topper Buying Guide
Benefits Of A Feather Mattress Topper
- A feather mattress topper is a great way to soften a too-firm mattress without compromising support.
- You can use a feather mattress topper to improve pressure relief on your back, hips and other pressure points. It can also make your nights more comfortable if you have back pain, hip pain and other body aches.
- Like other natural mattress toppers, a feather topper is naturally cool. It’s great for sleepers and those sleeping on a hot mattress. Feather toppers are also great for managing or reducing night sweats.
- Most feather toppers are fully or mostly natural, making them healthier and more eco-friendly compared to synthetic polyurethane foam and microfiber toppers.
- Feather mattress toppers last for years and years. A good one can last up to 10 years. They don't wear out as quickly as down-alternative toppers.
Downsides of Feather Mattress Toppers
- Feather mattress toppers typically don’t offer the same level of pressure relief and support as memory foam or latex toppers. That’s because they are thin and compress easily when you lie on the topper. Heavy sleepers and some side sleepers may not be very comfortable on a feather topper.
- Like other natural mattress toppers, feather mattress toppers are more expensive compared to synthetic toppers. If you are shopping on a budget, consider a down-alternative topper instead. You can get a plush one for half the price of a feather topper.
- Some people are allergic to the feathers in a feather mattress topper. In some cases, the feathers can also poke you.
- Most feather mattress toppers need frequent fluffing to maintain their loft.
What To Look For In A Feather Mattress Topper
The first thing to check is what materials are used in the topper. Here are different kinds of feather toppers based on materials.
- Feather & down toppers — these are the most common. They contain a mix of feathers and down, with feathers being more. They are comfortable without being too expensive.
- Feather-only toppers — these are cheaper but less luxurious. A feather-only topper is a good choice if you want an all-natural moderately plush feather topper that’s affordable.
- Feather, down, and down-alternative toppers — to make the topper thicker and plusher while keeping it affordable, some manufacturers combine natural down with synthetic down-alternative in one layer and then have feathers in the bottom layer. These kinds of toppers are softer and offer more pressure relief, but they don't have the same cooling performance as all-natural feather toppers.
- Down-only toppers — these are not as common but they are around. They are super luxurious, but expensive as well. They contain just down, no feathers. A down-only topper can be just as expensive as a premium mattress.
So far, all kinds of toppers that we’ve seen come with a 100% cotton cover. The main difference is the quality of the cotton.
Cheaper toppers have 200-250 thread count cotton covers, while pricier ones use softer 300+ thread count cotton covers.
Another thing: different feather toppers use different types of feathers. Toppers with goose feathers are soft but they tend to be pricier. Duck feather toppers are not as luxurious, but they are cheaper.
Next, check how the materials have been put together.
What’s the proportion of down to feathers? The higher the percentage of down, the softer and more comfortable the topper will be.
Cheaper feather toppers typically have 5% down, while high-end ones can have more than 20% down.
Does the topper have layers? The best feather mattress toppers have double layers, with down or a mixture of down and down alternatives at the top, and feathers at the bottom.
A double-layers topper tends to be more comfortable and you don't have to worry about feathers poking you.
A single-layered feather topper is cheaper, but you might have to place a thick sheet over the topper to keep the feathers from poking through.
Is the cotton cover down-proof? The best feather toppers come with specially woven cotton covers designed to stop down and feathers from leaking.
Does the cover have baffles? Baffles are important in ensuring filling is evenly distributed across the topper and doesn't shift.
Well-stitched baffles are crucial in maintaining the loft of a feather mattress topper.
Fill power is a term used to describe the quality of down bedding such as pillows, comforters, and toppers.
Fill power is the amount of space (in cubic inches) occupied by an ounce of down. The higher the fill power, the fluffier, softer, and longer-lasting a topper is.
A topper with high fill power also offers better temperature and moisture regulation.
Fill power only applies to feather toppers with a considerable amount of down. Low-cost and mid-range feather and down toppers have a fill power of at least 550.
Pricier toppers have a fill power of 600-800. These are the most comfortable and durable feather toppers.
Some manufacturers also list the fill weight. This refers to the actual weight of the filling. The higher the fill weight the heavier the feather topper is.
So if you want a lightweight feather topper that’s easy to handle and move around, look for one with a manageable fill weight.
Check the loft or thickness of the feather mattress topper. Most feather toppers are 2 or 3 inches thick.
A 2-inch loft topper is ideal if you want to add just a bit of softness to your mattress. It’s great for medium-firm mattresses and feels most comfortable for back and stomach sleepers.
A 3-inch loft feather topper makes your mattress a lot softer. It’s great for firm and extra-firm mattresses. It’s most comfortable for side sleepers and those with body aches.
Washing & Care
Finally, check whether the topper is machine washable. Most feather mattress toppers are machine washable but they need delicate care. Follow the cleaning instructions provided.
Some feather mattress toppers are dry clean only and others can only be spot cleaned.
Tip: Whether your feather topper is machine washable or not, consider getting a second cover for it or place it under a mattress protector to keep it from getting dirty. This reduces how often you need to wash the topper, which lengthens its life.
How To Take Care Of A Feather Down Mattress Topper
Feather and down mattress toppers are delicate. It’s easy to damage it if you are not careful about how you wash and take care of it.
Here are some tips to ensure you get a long life out of your feather topper. Remember to always follow the manufacturer's washing and care instructions.
- Feather mattress toppers are bulky. You need a large washing machine to properly launder it. If you don't have one at home, take it to the laundromat.
- Use mild detergent, select the cold setting and wash on a gentle/delicate cycle.
- Rince the topper twice to make sure there’s no trace of detergent left in the topper.
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions on tumble drying. But most feather toppers are safe to tumble dry on low. You may need to put it through two drying cycles to make sure it is bone dry. Alternatively, hang dry it for several hours after you take it out of the dryer.
- Launder the topper as few times as possible. Hanging the dryer outside is usually enough to refresh and sanitize it. If there are any stains, spot clean them then hang the topper to dry.
- Regularly fluff the topper to keep it from going flat.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between a feather mattress topper and a feather bed?
Companies use the two terms interchangeably to refer to the same thing. A feather bed is the same as a feather mattress topper.
Which is better a feather and a memory foam topper?
Both have their pros and cons. Memory foam toppers offer excellent pressure relief and have good support. On the downside, they are synthetic and tend to trap heat.
Feather mattress toppers are natural and are great for hot sleepers. While they can soften a firm mattress, they are not ideal if you want deep pressure relief. They are also more expensive than most memory foam toppers.
How long do feather mattress toppers last?
Feather mattress toppers generally last longer than microfiber toppers. The average lifespan is between 3 and 10 years depending on the quality of the topper (a higher fill power topper will last longer).
Is a feather mattress topper good for your back?
A feather bed can be good for your back if your current mattress is so firm that it’s affecting spinal alignment and causing back pain.
A feather topper can add just the right amount of padding to improve alignment without making your bed overly soft.
Is a feather mattress topper good for hot sleepers?
Yes, it is. A feather-down mattress topper has great all-season temperature regulation. It’ll keep you cool when it’s hot and insulate you on colder nights.
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase a mattress after clicking a referral link or using a coupon code on this site. That said, all content and opinions on this site are my own and are NOT affected by these payments.
This site participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
*Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.