Are you a stomach sleeper seeking a more comfortable pillow?
You’ve come to the right place.
Stomach sleepers have a particularly hard time finding a comfortable pillow.
Most pillows are too thick causing the neck to flex upwards, leading to neck pain. Too-thick pillows can also cause lower back pain for stomach sleepers.
But don’t give up on your search.
There are some excellent pillows for sale online that are perfectly suited for stomach sleepers – and on this page, we'll review the best.
Great pillows for stomach sleepers tend to be thinner to keep your head and neck aligned with the rest of the body.
They also provide just the right amount of support and pressure relief to prevent pressure and strain on your neck. And they tend to be softer due to the face-down position most stomach sleepers inevitably find themselves in.
What’s In This Buying Guide?
In this buying guide, I review what I believe are the best stomach sleeper pillows sold online.
I’ll also explain the unique comfort needs of stomach sleepers and discuss the most important features to look for when buying a pillow if you primarily sleep on your stomach.
Hopefully, this buying guide will help you find a pillow that gives you restful sleep and no neck pain in the morning.
So, let’s dive in.
Note: You may also want to check out our list of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers.
Best Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
Disclaimer: All links below go to Amazon.com
- Top Pick Overall: Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
- Most Comfortable: Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Best Budget Pillow: Classic Brands Conforma Cushion
- Best Value: Pancake Pillow
- Best Neck Support: Elite Rest Slim Sleeper
- Best Temperature Control: eLuxury Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow
|Elite Rest Ultra Slim||Memory foam||2.5"|
|Coop Home Goods||Memory foam||Adjustable|
|Classic Brands ||Memory Foam||5"|
|Elite Rest Slim||Memory foam||2.5"|
|Extra Soft||Goose down||4"|
1. Top Pick Overall: Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper
At just 2.5 inches thick, the Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper is probably the thinnest pillow you’ll ever come across.
It works perfectly for stomach sleepers, providing just the right loft to keep your neck from flexing.
It is also extra-firm, which keeps your head comfortably flat against the pillow.
The pillow has a unique half-pillow design. It is curved like a normal pillow on one side and completely flat on the other.
If you occasionally sleep on your back or side, you’ll find the curved side to be more comfortable.
Try both sides to find the most comfortable one.
The Elite Rest pillow is made from memory foam. So even though it’s firm, it doesn’t feel like you are sleeping on a rock.
There’s enough contouring to relieve pressure on your head and neck.
The cotton cover feels soft and stays cool and fresh at night.
But if you sleep hot or it’s a warm night, the breathable cotton cover may not be enough to keep you completely cool.
If the pillow sleeps a bit warm, consider buying a cooling pillowcase.
As for maintenance, you cannot launder the entire pillow, but you can remove and wash the cover. Make sure you follow the cleaning instructions to avoid damaging it.
- Size: standard – 24” by 16.”
- Loft: 2.5.”
- Cleaning: cover is removable and washable
- Cover material: Cotton
- Fill: Memory foam
- Comfortable for most stomach sleepers.
- Reduces strain on the neck and lower back.
- Anti-bacterial, hypoallergenic, and bedbug-resistant.
- You can choose between the curved and flat side.
- Great price.
- It’s memory foam so it can get a bit warm in summer and for those who are sensitive to heat.
- Only the cover is washable.
2. Most Comfortable: Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
I’m a big fan of shredded memory foam pillows for all sleeping positions. They adapt to and support your head and face well, and you can adjust the pillow’s loft to your comfort.
The Coop Home Goods shredded memory foam pillow is a shredded foam pillow that honestly works great for all sleeping positions due to its adjustable loft.
For stomach sleepers, you’ll want to remove some of the foam to lower the pillow. The zippered cover makes it easy to remove the filling.
This pillow is not as firm as most stomach sleeper pillows on this page. I recommend it for stomach sleepers who prefer sleeping on something extra-soft.
If you find a firm pillow more comfortable, get a solid foam pillow like the Elite Rest one I have just reviewed.
If you are not sure the Coop Home Goods pillow will work for you, there is no risk buying it. They provide a 100-day no-questions-asked return.
If you decide to keep the pillow, the company backs it up with a 5-year warranty.
One advantage of buying a shredded foam pillow is that it sleeps cooler since there is more airflow. The Coop Home Goods pillow does even better when it comes to cooling thanks to the bamboo rayon cover.
Maintaining this pillow is easy.
The entire pillow is washable. You need to secure the zipper with a safety pin to keep it from opening while in the washer. You can also wash the outer removable cover.
- Size: standard (20” x 26”), Queen (20” x 30”), King (20” x 36”)
- Loft: adjustable
- Cleaning: You can wash the pillow. The cover is also removable and washable.
- Cover material: Polyester and bamboo rayon
- Fill: Shredded memory foam and microfiber
- Super comfortable – a great choice for those who prefer a plush pillow.
- Adjustable loft.
- Pillow is washable.
- Hypoallergenic and allergen-resistant filling.
- Reduces/prevents neck, shoulder, and lower back pain.
- Sleeps cool.
- Not ideal for those who prefer a flat firm pillow.
- The chemical smell when new.
3. Best Budget Pillow: Classic Brands Conforma Cushion
If you are on a budget, the DU&HL Classic Brands Conforma memory foam pillow is a great choice.
The loft fill in this pillow is a bit high, so I recommend it for larger-bodied sleepers who will find the extra height better for neck-spine alignment.
The pillow is made from solid memory foam with what the manufacturer calls Cool Sleep Technology.
It’s nothing fancy. Just some ventilation holes in the foam. But they are effective,
The Conforma cushion pillow sleeps significantly cooler than most other solid memory foam pillows.
The cover also helps with cooling.
It’s made from a knitted fabric called Velour that feels as plush as velvet.
The Conforma Cushion Pillow has a medium-firm feel, so it sinks a little when you lie on it. This lowers the loft for better alignment and relieves pressure on your head, neck, and shoulders.
As with most solid memory foam pillows, the Conforma Cushion is not washable. You can only wash the cover.
- Size: Queen (27” x 16”), King (33” x 16”)
- Loft: 5.”
- Cleaning: The cover is removable and washable.
- Cover material: Velour
- Fill: Ventilated solid memory foam
- Ideal for heavier and bigger-bodied sleepers.
- Great price.
- Relieves pressure on head, neck, and shoulders.
- The ventilated design keeps the pillow cool.
- Not ideal for stomach sleepers who prefer a low flat pillow.
- Despite the ventilation, the pillow can get a bit warm in summer, especially for those who are extra-sensitive to heat.
4. Best Value: Pancake Pillow
Picture a plate of pancakes on a Sunday morning. You can remove or add pancakes depending on how many it takes to get you full.
That’s a kind of the idea behind the Pancake Pillow. The pillow consists of stackable pancake-like layers that you can adjust to your liking.
Remove some of the mini-pillows if you want a lower loft or add more layers to raise the pillow’s height.
Most stomach sleepers say they use just two or three of the ‘pancakes.’ So you can make a couple of pillows out of the six layers. You’ll need to buy zippered pillowcases.
Each layer is filled with microfiber that provides a soft down-like feel. The filling cradles your neck and head, relieving pressure while also providing support.
Being microfiber, the pillows are safe to put in the washing machine on a gentle cycle. Tumble dry on low.
The 300-thread count luxury cotton cover is also washable.
- Size: Queen (26” x 18”) King (34”x 18”)
- Loft: Adjustable
- Cleaning: The individual layers are washable. The outer cover is removable and washable.
- Cover material: Cotton
- Fill: Hypoallergenic down alternative microfiber
- Adjustable loft.
- Plush luxury sleeping experience.
- Easy to clean in a washing machine.
- Good value for money.
- Can get a bit too warm.
- Not ideal for those who prefer a medium firm or firm pillow.
5. Best Neck Support: Elite Rest Slim Sleeper
This is another good choice for stomach sleepers looking for a low firm pillow.
The Elite Rest is medium firm, which allows the memory foam to contour around your neck and provide proper support.
It also contours easily around your shoulders, ensuring there are no pressure points.
The pillow is only 3” thick, which is the sweet point for stomach sleepers looking for a low but supportive pillow.
If you are used to sleeping on a thicker pillow, it may take some time to get used to this one. Give your body a couple of weeks to get used to the new pillow and see if it helps with your neck pain.
The cover is cotton, which is breathable enough for most people but can get a bit warm for those who are heat sensitive.
This being a memory foam pillow, you cannot wash it in the washing machine. But the cover is removable and washable.
If the foam gets stained, spot clean it with cold water and mild detergent.
- Size: Standard (24” x 16”)
- Loft: 3.”
- Cleaning: The cover is removable and washable.
- Cover material: Cotton
- Fill: Solid memory foam
- Excellent neck support and pressure relief.
- Perfect loft for most stomach sleepers.
- Soft and breathable cotton cover.
- No strong initial smell.
- Can feel warm for heat-sensitive sleepers or during summer.
- Pillow not washable, only the cover can be washed.
6. Best Temperature Control: eLuxury Extra Soft Down Filled Pillow
If you are looking for a natural pillow for a stomach sleeper, this soft down pillow from eLuxury Supply is one of the most comfortable.
Because the down is so soft, this pillow flattens into a comfortable low loft when you lie on it – which keeps your neck in alignment with your body.
That said, you’ll have to spend quite a bit for this down pillow. It’s the most expensive one on this page.
But it’s worth it for those who want a luxury hypoallergenic headrest.
As a bonus, it sleeps far cooler than cheap microfiber pillows. The down in this pillow doesn’t trap heat the way microfiber does, making it ideal for hot sleepers.
The luxury cotton casing also helps things cool at night. The cover is sewn in a tight weave to make sure the feathers don’t poke through while still allowing the pillow to breathe.
The pillow is washable, and you can tumble dry it.
- Size: Standard (20” x 26”), Queen (20” x 30”), King (20” x 36”)
- Loft: 6.5” (squishes down to 2-3 inches when you lie on it)
- Cleaning: Pillow is washable.
- Cover material: Cotton
- Fill: 80% down, 20% feathers
- Soft, plush, and comfortable – relieves pressure on neck and shoulders.
- Squishes down to a low loft that is comfortable for stomach sleepers.
- Sleeps cool.
- High quality and durable cotton cover.
- The entire pillow can be washed.
- Not ideal for those who prefer a medium-firm or firm pillow.
- Not ideal for heavier sleepers who need the extra support of a memory foam or latex pillow.
Features to Consider When Buying a Pillow For a Stomach Sleeper
This is the most crucial factor to consider when you are buying a stomach sleeper pillow. The loft of the pillow greatly determines how comfortable it will be.
Generally, stomach sleepers need a low-loft pillow, around 2”-3” high.
But bigger bodied sleepers and those who occasionally switch to the side may find 4” or 5” pillows to be more comfortable.
Some pillows have an adjustable loft.
You can remove or add layers or shredded foam to adjust the pillow’s height.
The most common filling for pillows is memory foam, either solid or shredded.
Solid memory foam is useful if you want a low and firm or medium firm pillow. Shredded memory foam is ideal if you want to sleep on a softer and cooler pillow.
If you’d like an extra-plush pillow, look for one with a down or microfiber filling.
Get a down pillow if you’d prefer a natural, hypoallergenic and cool pillow. Go for microfiber if you are on a budget but would love a plush down-like feel.
Latex pillows are also good, especially for stomach sleepers who want a firm and cool pillow.
Everyone has different firmness preferences.
Some stomach sleepers prefer a soft pillow while others want something flat and firm.
The sweet spot for most is medium firm–soft enough to hug your neck and shoulders but also firm enough to keep your neck at the right height.
Memory foam pillows are the best for that medium-firm feel.
If you sleep better on a plush pillow, down or microfiber pillows are the best for you.
If you want an extra-firm pillow, look or a pillow made from latex or high-density memory foam.
Note: Don’t judge a pillow’s firmness immediately you sleep on it. It takes at least a couple of weeks to get the true feel of a pillow.
4. Temperature Control
Temperature control is not just important for stomach sleepers. It’s something you should consider regardless of your sleeping position.
Heat-trapping pillows will reduce the quality of your sleep, causing frequent waking at night as you try to get comfortable.
If you are a hot sleeper, a pillow with poor temperature control can leave your head and face drenched in sweat.
The coolest pillows are latex and natural down pillows. They don’t trap heat, ensuring you sleep cool and comfortable.
Similar to memory foam mattresses, memory foam pillows don’t have a good reputation when it comes to cooling.
If you decide to get a memory foam pillow, I recommend shredded memory foam. It has better ventilation and thus better cooling.
If you prefer solid memory foam, look for those with a ventilated design or cooling gel.
Microfiber pillows are also not that good at temperature control. Unlike down, the synthetic down alternative traps heat, making you sleep hot.
5. Machine Washable
Finally, check how easy it is to maintain the pillow.
Specifically, check whether it is machine washable.
Machine washable pillows are easy to keep clean. You don’t have to worry about stains and accumulated dirt.
Microfiber, down and some shredded memory foam pillows are machine washable.
Solid memory foam pillows are not. You can only wash the cover.
5 Types of Pillows For Stomach Sleepers
Standard pillows: These are the standard pillows with a curved or flat design. They can be down, memory foam or microfiber pillows.
Cervical pillows: These are pillows with a raised edge designed to enhance neck support and a trough to cradle your head. Cervical pillows for stomach sleepers feature a low lip to avoid pushing the neck too far up.
Adjustable pillows: These are pillows with an adjustable loft. They work either by removing/adding shredded memory foam or individual layers.
Full body pillows: Pillows that extend the full length of the body. Ideal for those who need hip and lower body support as well as pregnant women. Full body pillows are mostly for side sleepers, but there are some for stomach sleepers usually for expectant mothers. They have holes for the belly and breasts and a neck support pillow at the top.
Contour pillows: Contoured pillows have grooves and raised areas that conform to your head, neck, and shoulders. Some even have dedicated chin support.
How to Position Pillows Correctly For a Stomach Sleeper
There is no rule on how to position your pillow. Different people prefer different sleeping styles.
Some stomach sleepers prefer sleeping with an arm under the pillow while others lay their head on their hands with part of their shoulders on the pillow.
There are also those who just lay their head on the pillow with their arms stretched down their body.
The most important thing is to make sure you are comfortable.
If you keep waking up with a sore or painful neck, try a different sleeping style or get a new pillow that is better for your style.
Unlike side and back sleepers, stomach sleepers usually don’t need an additional pillow between their knees or under their belly.
An extra pillow can cause back or neck pain. Your body needs to stay flat on the mattress for the best alignment.
How a Pillow Helps Stomach Sleepers Sleep Well
- It ensures proper neck-spine alignment. A good pillow holds your head and neck at just the right height to keep it aligned with your body. This prevents neck pain.
- No pressure. The pillow should contour around your neck, head, and shoulders to reduce pressure on muscles and joints.
- Prevents lower back pain. An uncomfortable pillow will not only affect the neck but the lower back as well. A good stomach sleeper pillow protects both your neck and lower back.
- Less tossing and turning. If you find yourself frequently turning from side to side as you sleep, it’s your body telling you that it is uncomfortable. This can prevent you from sleeping properly. A comfortable pillow helps you sleep better and deeper.
- Improved breathing. Sleeping on the wrong pillow can mess with your breathing if your neck is too high or too low. It can be worse if you have sleep apnea or you snore a lot at night. A comfortable pillow with the right loft and support keeps your airways clear.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it bad for you to sleep on your stomach?
No, as long as you do it right. Make sure you sleep on the right pillow and mattress to avoid putting pressure on your back and neck.
If you have a health problem such as a bad back or sleep apnea, talk to your doctor about the best way to sleep.
What is the best pillow for stomach sleepers?
A medium firm or firm low-loft pillow. It provides the best support and alignment for stomach sleepers.
If you prefer a soft plush pillow, buy a down or microfiber pillow.
Is a memory foam mattress good for stomach sleepers?
Yes, as long as it is not too soft.
Stomach sleepers feel most comfortable on a medium-firm to firm mattress that keeps their body in perfect alignment.
If the mattress is too soft, it won’t provide adequate support.
Most memory foam mattresses are firm enough for stomach sleepers.
What is the difference between MyPillow and MyPillow premium?
MyPillow Classic has two loft/firmness levels while MyPillow Premium has four loft levels.
Another difference is the filling. The classic MyPillow contains polyester fibers, while the premium version contains foam.
What firmness is best for a stomach sleeper?
A medium firm to the firm pillow is the best. It provides good neck and head support.
However, some stomach sleepers find soft pillows to be more comfortable.
What kind of pillows are used in hotels?
Most hotels use microfiber or down pillows. These are great for stomach sleepers.
Though they may look thick and stuffed, they compress to a more comfortable loft when you lie on them.
Are memory foam pillows good for sleeping on your stomach?
Yes, they are. Just make sure you get a low-loft pillow that won’t push your head too high.
I love the Elite Rest Ultra Slim Sleeper Pillow. The slim design is perfect for most stomach sleepers, and the firm memory foam provides excellent support.
If you’d like a softer memory foam pillow that hugs your neck, we recommend the Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow.
If you are looking for a natural pillow, the eLuxury Supply Extra Soft Down filled pillow is a great choice.
As you can see, stomach sleepers have a wide variety of options to choose from. Whether you want a thin flat pillow, a fluffy cloud, or something in between, you can easily find it.
Hopefully, these reviews and buying guide will help you find the best stomach sleeper pillow.
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase a mattress after clicking a referral link or using a coupon code on this site. That said, all content and opinions on this site are my own and are NOT affected by these payments.
This site participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
*Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.