Shopping for a White Noise Machine?
You’re in the right place!
Fall asleep to the serene sounds of a rushing waterfall or a steady fan hum produced by a compact and stylish machine.
White noise machines can be of great help to people suffering from lack of sleep as they drown out unwanted environmental noises. Moreover, white noise machines are also safe to lull infants and children into a deep and peaceful sleep.
Why Do You Need a white noise machine?
White noise machines help create a more relaxing environment to sleep in. They drown out disturbing and distracting environmental noises and fill the bedroom with soft, soothing sounds to promote healthy and long sleep.
A white noise machine is also known as a sound machine, and it can help reduce the onset of sleep to help patients with sleep disorders such as insomnia.
What's in this Buying Guide
This buying guide takes you through all you need to know about the best white noise machines.
We review ten of the best white noise machines and list their pros and cons!
We also include instructions on how to use a white noise machine, what to look for in one, and the pros and cons of investing in one.
Struggling to fall asleep?
Check out our guide on the best bed cooling systems or our in-depth review of the BedJet V3 forced airbed cooling system!
Best White Noise Machines
Disclaimer: All links below go to Amazon.com
- Best Overall: BUFFBEE White Noise Sound Machine
- Best White Noise Machine for Masking Sound: LectroFan White Noise Sound Machine
- Portable White Noise Machine: Dreamegg D11 Sound Machine
- Best Design: Anescra White Noise Machine
- Best White Noise Machine for Babies: Dreamegg White Noise Machine
- Best Value for Money: HoMedics White Noise Sound Machine
- Most Stylish White Noise Machine: Douni Sleep Sound Machine
- Best White Noise Machine with Internal Fan: Yogasleep Dohm UNO Noise Machine
- Simplest White Noise machine: Big Red Rooster 6 White Noise Machine
- Best Features: Sound+Sleep White Noise Machine
|BUFFBEE||Best Overall||17||1h, 2h, or 3h|
|LectroFan||Best White Noise Machine for Masking Sound||20||1h, 2h, or 3h|
|Dreamegg D11||Portable White Noise Machine||11||30, 60 or 90min|
|Anescra||Best Design||24||30, 60 or 90min|
|Dreamegg White Noise Machine||Best White Noise Machine for Babies||21||30, 60 or 90min|
|HoMedics||Best Value for Money||6||30, 60 or 90min|
|Douni Sleep||Most Stylish White Noise Machine||24||30, 60 or 90min|
|Yogasleep Dohm UNO||Best White Noise Machine with Internal Fan||1||None|
|Big Red Rooster 6||Simplest White Noise machine||6||15, 30 or 60in|
|Sound+Sleep||Best Features||30||30, 60, 90, or 120 min|
1. Best Overall:BUFFBEE White Noise Sound Machine
The BUFFBEE white noise sound machine effectively creates a peaceful and relaxing environment with 17 non-looping sleep sounds. It also offers adjustable volume and ambient lighting.
- Equipped with a night light and 7 ambient lights
- Comes with 15 adjustable volume levels
- Includes an auto-off timer (1h, 2h, or 3h)
- Features 17 non-looping sleep sounds
- Sounds are a bit too high-pitched
- Doesn’t come with remote
The Buffee white noise machine is equipped with 17 soothing sounds consisting of 4 fan noises, 4 white sounds, and 9 natural sounds (ocean waves, heartbeat, rain, etc.) to create the perfect environment for relaxing.
It has 15 noise levels that you can adjust to your preference. This sound machine has an innovative fabric design that prevents slippage, and its compact construction makes it easy to travel with.
The Buffee white noise machine is equipped with a memory function that automatically restores your previously selected settings once you turn on the device.
Plus, it has an auto-turn off timer option that allows you to set a timer for 1h, 2h, or 3h, after which the machine automatically turns off the sounds.
2. Best White Noise Machine for Masking Sound: LectroFan White Noise Sound Machine
The LectroFan white noise machine has a solid-state design to create unique calming sounds. It has a versatile design that is perfect for various environments like a workspace or a baby’s room.
- Offers a 1,000-day satisfaction guarantee
- Equipped with a safe and solid-state design
- Allows precise volume control
- Helps block disturbing environmental noises
- The cord is a bit flimsy
The LectroFan sound machine provides 20 unique sounds, out of which 10 are fan sounds, and 10 are ambient noise variations.
These variations include white noise, pink noise, and brown noise and give you a larger variety of sounds to choose from. It effectively blocks disturbing the environment to ensure a peaceful sleep.
The LectroFan white noise machine for sleeping has a sturdy and solid design backed by a 1000-day satisfaction guarantee. It features precise volume control to adjust the noise level to your preference, and it also has an in-built auto-off timer.
3. Portable White Noise Machine: Dreamegg D11 Sound Machine
The Dreamegg D11 is the perfect portable sound machine with an array of innovative features to offer. It is suitable for adults and kids alike.
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Features a child-lock for safety
- Small and lightweight construction for easier portability
- Features 11 soothing sounds and 32 volume levels
- Short battery life
- Difficult to see buttons at night
The Dreamegg D11 is a small but feature-rich white noise machine equipped with 11 soothing sounds, including white noise, ocean sound, fetal tone, lullaby, and more.
It has 32 sound levels to adjust the noise according to the environment. Plus, the D11 is easy to travel with as it has a small, lightweight, and cordless construction.
The D11’s design has a night light with a warm hue and adjustable brightness levels. It also comes with a baby-safe clip that attaches to virtually anything, making it perfect for carrying in a bag. Plus, it is backed by a 12-month warranty.
4. Best Design: Anescra White Noise Machine
The Anescra White Noise Machine has a battery-powered design and offers 24 different sound variations to choose from. It has a highly sturdy construction and innovative design.
- Offers 24 high-fidelity sound options
- Equipped with an adjustable, soft LED luminous lamp
- Built with non-toxic, fire-proof, and odorless material
- Night light is a bit too bright even at the lowest setting
- No way of knowing the battery life left
The Anescra white noise generator features 24 high-fidelity sounds with 7 fan noises, 7 white sounds, and 10 nature sounds. It has a built-in battery that lasts for 20 hours, and it comes with a long, 4.9-feet charging cable.
Plus, its compact and lightweight size makes it easy to travel with.
The Anescra sleep noise machine provides soft night light with 3 light modes, 5 brightness levels, and 7 colors to choose from. It is equipped with an auto-off timer (30, 60, or 90 min), so the device powers off itself after a while without you having to get up.
The Anescra unit memorizes the previously selected settings and plays the last sound you selected after it restarts.
5. Best White Noise Machine for Babies: Dreamegg White Noise Machine
The Dreamegg white noise machine is an excellent choice to keep in your baby’s room as it is equipped with several baby-favorite melodies.
- Features a memory function that remembers the previously chosen settings
- Offers 8 nature sound options to choose from
- Simple and easy-to-use design
- Compact, discreet,and completelyunobtrusive design
- Buttons are not illuminated
- Fan sounds are a bit low-pitched
The Dreamegg sound machine comes with 21 sound options to choose from, out of which there are 8 nature sounds, 3 white noises, 3 fan sounds & 7 melodies that babies typically seem to love.
Its construction is compact and unobtrusive, with 25 sound levels to choose from. This sound level variation is loud enough to drown out disturbing environmental noises and gentle enough for kids.
The Dreamegg device is equipped with a memory function that remembers your preferred setting, and it has an auto-off timer that offers 30 mins, 60 mins, 90 mins, or continuous play options.
6. Best Value for Money: HoMedics White Noise Sound Machine
This HoMedics sound machine is a simple and well-designed white noise device that is an excellent alternative to many higher-end models.
- Offers 3 auto-off timer options (15, 30, or 60 min)
- Features 6 digitally recorded sounds
- Small and lightweight construction
- Volume switch is hard to turn on or off
- Thunder sound isn’t very realistic
The HoMedics white noise machine has a small, compact, and lightweight construction. It’s a relatively simple setup that offers just six different digitally recorded sounds (White Noise, Thunder, Ocean, Rain, Summer Night, and Brook). All these sounds imitate a soothing natural environment.
Both the volume controls and sounds of the HoMedics white noise machine are adjustable according to personal preference. This unit has a battery-powered option for when you’re on the go.
The overall look of this unit is quite sleek, allowing it to work in most settings.
7. Most Stylish White Noise Machine: Douni Sleep Sound Machine
The Douni sleep sound machine draws in people with its stylish wood finish design, but they love it because of its innovative features.
- Backed by a 12-month hassle-free warranty
- Offers 32 volume levels with 85 dB increments
- Feature sleep timer options of 30, 60, or 90 minutes
- Stylish design with a wood grain finish
- Controls are not illuminated and hard to see in the dark
- Rain sound is hard to hear
The Douni sleep sound machine has a portable and compact size, making it convenient to travel with. It has a stylish wood grain finish that makes it look good in a variety of home decors.
This Douni white noise machine features 24 sounds in 3 different categories with 7 white sounds, 7 fan noises, and 10 classical nature sounds.
This top-rated white noise machine features a headphone jack so you can listen to white noise without disturbing others. It is equipped with 32 sound levels at 85 dB increments. The Douni machine is backed by a 12-month hassle-free warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee.
8. Best White Noise Machine with Internal Fan: Yogasleep Dohm UNO White Noise Machine
The Yogasleep Dohm UNO white noise machine produces fan-based natural white noise. It masks the disturbance caused by noisy snorers, barking dogs, traffic, etc., with its signature rushing air sound.
- Comes with an excellent one-year limited warranty
- Compact and easy-to-use design
- Durable and stylish construction
- Creates a soothing sound of rushing air
- The buttons aren’t ergonomic
- Warms up after a while
Featuring a compact and simple design, the Yogasleep Dohm UNO is easy to store and travel with. It has a simple and intuitive setup with a one-speed option for adjusting volume.
This sleep noise machine effectively masks loud and disturbing noises to help create a personalized, relaxing environment. It provides a non-looping customizable sound that you can fine-tune by simply twisting the adjustment sleeve.
The Yogasleep Dohm UNO has a simple plug-and-play design without any complicated setups, apps, etc. Plus, it is backed by a one-year limited warranty.
9. Simplest White Noise machine: Big Red Rooster 6 White Noise Machine
The Big Red Rooster 6 white noise machine features 6 serene and peaceful sound options that provide the perfect background noise for improved sleep and concentration. It has a simple plug-and-play design with an intuitive control panel.
- Can be powered via a battery or be plugged into an AC source
- Offers 6 soothing sounds
- Effectively blocks background noise to prevent disturbance
- Simple and easy-to-use design
- Volume control needs to be improved
- Sounds are slightly high-pitched
The Big Red Rooster 6 features 6 soothing sounds – rain, brook, ocean, thunder, white noise, and summer night. It can be powered by either an AC adapter or 3 AA batteries.
It is an excellent portable white noise machine as it has a lightweight construction and an option for battery-powered operation.
Plus, the Big Red Rooster 6 features an optional auto-off timer that you can set at 15-min, 30-min, or 60-min intervals.
10. Best Features: Sound+Sleep White Noise Machine
The Sound+Sleep white noise machine is incredibly well-designed with highly innovative features, including 30 different sound environments and adaptive sound technology.
- Equipped with 30 non-looping sound options
- Features a customizable sleep timer
- Comes with innovative adaptive sound technology
- Front panel lighting dims automatically to prevent disturbance in sleep
- Water-based sounds are a bit low-definition
- Doesn’t have wireless Bluetooth technology
The Sound+Sleep noise machine is equipped with 30 rich and immersive non-repeating sounds that effectively mask disturbing environmental sounds and ensure a peaceful setting for relaxation and sleep.
It is designed with front panel lighting that automatically dims to prevent any disturbance during your rest.
The Sound+Sleep unit has a 3.5mm headphone jack and features an auto-shutoff timer with 30-min, 60-min, 90-min, or 120-min intervals.
Plus, it features adaptive sound technology that smartly listens to your environment and adjusts the audio volume accordingly.
White Noise Machine Buying Guide
What is a White Noise Machine – and How Does it Work?
A white noise machine is also known as a sound machine and produces serene sounds like that of a rushing waterfall, ocean, etc., to calm its listeners. Generally, these machines are either square/cube-shaped or round/cylindrical-shaped.
White noise machines are of two basic types; electromechanical and electronic (solid-state) devices.
Electromechanical white noise machines are equipped with a fan spun by a motor, which produces sound.
On the other hand, electronic or solid-state machines have a speaker grill with a speaker inside. These generate noise patterns via electronics. The small air vents control the tone of the sound produced.
How to Use a White Noise Machine
After choosing the right white noise machine, it is crucial to consider the placement of the device.
A sound machine is most effective when placed close to the bed.
Do not place a fan-based machine below your bed to avoid its malfunction.
When it comes to placing a white noise machine in your baby’s room, make sure the device is placed at least three feet away from the baby’s crib.
Next, play the sound you find most soothing and start with the lowest noise setting. The noise levels should not exceed 50 decibels.
You may use the auto-timer function to program the device to play your preferred noise for a certain amount of time.
Lastly, do not forget to tuck away any cords to ensure safety.
What to Look for in a White Noise Machine
It can be tricky to buy a white noise machine if you don’t know what to look for.
When it comes to buying the best white noise machine, a few factors and features to look for are:
White noise machines are available at a variety of price points. You can get a good-quality white noise range with all the basic functions like timer, multiple sound varieties, etc., within the $20 to $100 range.
To ensure a peaceful and serene relaxing or sleep time, invest in a machine with an auto-shutoff alarm or timer.
You should not leave a sound machine turned on all night. With a timer, you can schedule the device to turn off after a few hours of continuous playing without having to wake up from your slumber.
White noise machines or calming sound apps that play noises on a loop can often get quite annoying and redundant. This is why it is vital to invest in a unit with various non-looping immersive sounds to choose from.
It is best to opt for a compact device so that it is easy to store and travel with. A compact noise machine is highly convenient as you can easily place it beside your bed on your side drawer.
It is quite helpful to have a time display and an alarm in your white noise machine so it can serve the double purpose of a clock and a noise machine. This way, you won’t have to keep two devices by your bedside; just the white noise machine is enough.
Consider a white noise machine with good-quality construction, so it doesn’t wear out too quickly, but it should be lightweight so that the sleep noise machine is portable and convenient to travel with.
Pros and Cons: White Noise Machines
Still on the fence about investing in a white noise machine?
Here are their pros and cons to help you decide better:
- Helps reduce the onset of sleep
- Produces a variety of soothing noises
- Blocks out distracting noises to enhance focus
- Helps calm down people with dementia
- White noise can cause hearing damage if it exceeds the recommended level
- May also drown out alert noises, which can be dangerous
Frequently Asked Questions
Is white noise harmful?
No, white noise is not harmful within the recommended noise limits. White noise can help reduce the time it takes to fall asleep.
Is white noise dangerous for your brain?
No, white noise is not bad for your brain. It consists of all frequencies at an equal intensity which helps mask loud sounds. White noise is recommended for people with sleeping difficulties and sleep disorders.
Should one leave white noise on all night?
No, it is not recommended to leave on a white noise machine all night. Experts recommend using the auto-shutoff feature to shut off the machine after a while.
Final Verdict: What is the Best White Noise Machine Sold Today?
We believe that the best white noise machine on our list is the BUFFBEE Sound Machine.
It features 17 soothing sounds to create the perfect atmosphere for a peaceful sleep.
Plus, its innovative and convenient design comes with an auto-off timer and adjustable sound levels.
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase a mattress after clicking a referral link or using a coupon code on this site. That said, all content and opinions on this site are my own and are NOT affected by these payments.
This site participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
*Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.