Shopping for a high and tall bed frame?
You’ve come to the right place.
High bed frames generally include those that are at least 14 inches high from the ground to the sleeping platform.
Extra-tall bed frames can be as high as 18 inches.
Advantages of A High Bed Frame
High and tall bed frames have several advantages over low profile bed frames.
- Because they are at the average knee level for most people, it’s easier to get in and out of bed. Extra-high bed frames (14” and 18”) are especially ideal for tall individuals.
- High bed frames are particularly helpful for the elderly and anyone with bad joints. You don't have to bend your knees as much to get into bed or stand up from it.
- A high bed frame lets you sleep further away from the floor, thus reducing your exposure to allergens and dust. When it’s cold, a high bed frame helps you sleep warmer since it’s colder near the floor.
- A tall bed frame gives you more storage space underneath the bed. This is especially helpful if you don't have much space in your bedroom and closets to store extra bedding, camping gear, and other stuff.
- Tall bed frames tend to have a traditional look that some people like. A high bed frame is also a great way to visually fill up a large high-ceiling bedroom.
What’s In This Buying Guide?
Table of Contents
- Advantages of A High Bed Frame
- What’s In This Buying Guide?
- Best High & Tall Bed Frames
- 1. Best 14 Inch Bed Frame: ZINUS Yelena 14 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
- 2. Best 16 Inch Bed Frame: ZIYOO 16” Bed Frame
- 3. Best 18 Inch Bed Frame: Olee Sleep 18 Inch Tall Heavy Duty Mattress Foundation
- 4. Best High Wood Bed Frame: ZINUS Moiz 14” Wood Platform Bed Frame
- 5. Best High Metal Bed Frame: Yaheetech Classic Metal Platform Bed Frame
- 6. Best High Bed Frame With Headboard: SHA CERLIN 14 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
- 7. Best High Bed Frame With Storage: Harper & Bright Designs Upholstered Platform Bed with Storage Drawer
- 8. Best Minimalist High Bed Frame: ZINUS Joseph 18 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
- 9. Best Foldable High Bed Frame: AmazonBasics Foldable, 18″ Black Metal Platform Bed Frame
- 10. Best Loft Bed Frame for Kids & Teens: DHP Junior Loft Bed Frame with Ladder
- High Bed Frames Buying Guide
- High & Tall Bed Frames: FAQs
In this buying guide, we recommend the best high-profile bed frames you can order online.
We also give you tips on how to choose the right high bed frame for your needs.
Best High & Tall Bed Frames
Disclaimer: All links below go to Amazon.com
- Best 14 Inch Bed Frame: ZINUS Yelena 14 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
- Best 16 Inch Bed Frame: ZIYOO 16” Bed Frame
- Best 18 Inch Bed Frame: Olee Sleep 18 Inch Tall Heavy Duty Mattress Foundation
- Best High Wood Bed Frame: ZINUS Moiz 14” Wood Platform Bed Frame
- Best High Metal Bed Frame: Yaheetech Classic Metal Platform Bed Frame
- Best High Bed Frame With Headboard: SHA CERLIN 14 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
- Best High Bed Frame With Storage: Harper & Bright Designs Upholstered Platform Bed with Storage Drawer
- Best Minimalist High Bed Frame: ZINUS Joseph 18 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
- Best Foldable High Bed Frame: AmazonBasics Foldable, 18″ Black Metal Platform Bed Frame
- Best Loft Bed Frame for Kids & Teens: DHP Junior Loft Bed Frame with Ladder
|Bed Frames||Award||Platform height||Clearance||Material||Capacity|
|Zinus Yelena||Best 14 inch||14”||12”||Metal frame & slats||700lbs|
|Ziyoo||Best 16 inch||16”||14”||Metal frame & wood slats||3,500lbs|
|Olee Sleep||Best 18 inch||18”||16.3”||Metal frame & slats||2,000lbs|
|Zinus Moiz||Best wood frame||14”||10.4”||Wood frame & plywood slats||700lbs|
|Yaheetech Classic||Best metal||14”||12.5”||Metal frame & slats||600lbs|
|SHA CERLIN||Best with headboard||14”||12”||Metal & wood frame, metal slats||800lbs|
|Harper & Bright Designs||Best with storage||13.7”||12”||Metal frame & slats||500lbs|
|Zinus Joseph||Best minimalist||18”||15.4”||Metal frame & wood slats||700lbs|
|AmazonBasics||Best foldable||18”||16”||Metal frame & slats||265lbs/person|
|DHP Junior Loft Bed||Best loft bed||50”||36.5”||Metal frame & slats||250lbs twin, 300lbs full|
1. Best 14 Inch Bed Frame: ZINUS Yelena 14 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
If you want a moderately high bed frame, a 14 incher is perfect. Our favorite 14-inch bed frame is the Zinus Yelena.
- Solid metal construction that supports up to 700lbs.
- Perfect bed height for most people.
- A good amount of underbed storage.
- Headboard is compatible.
- Slats are spaced too far apart for some mattresses.
The steel slats on the Zinus Yelena bed frame are 14 inches from the floor. This is the perfect height for those who want a moderately high bed.
The frame has an all-steel construction, including the slats, that supports up to 700lbs of weight.
As with most tall bed frames, you don't need a box spring for the Zinus Yelena. The frame already has slats that can directly support your mattress, and box spring would make the bed overly high.
The high placement of the sleeping platform gives you plenty of storage space under the bed. There are 12 inches of clearance from the floor to the bottom of the side rail.
Assembling the Zinus Yelena bed frame is fair. It takes about an hour. The bed frame comes with the tools you need plus extra parts in case you lose or damage some of them during assembly.
Issues & Limitations
The metal slats are spaced 6.95” apart. This is too wide for certain mattresses like memory foam. The mattress doesn't get adequate support and can sink in between the slats.
Some mattress manufacturers have specific requirements in their warranty on the maximum spacing between slats on a bed frame. Be careful not to void your mattress warranty.
If your mattress sinks between the slats, place a bunkie board or a sheet of plywood on the slats.
2. Best 16 Inch Bed Frame: ZIYOO 16” Bed Frame
If you want to go up a couple of inches, we recommend the Ziyoo 16-inch bed frame. It’s perfect if you want more underbed storage or if you have long legs.
- Extra underbed storage space.
- Heavy-duty construction.
- Compatible with headboard and footboard.
- It’s easy to stub your toes on the legs.
The 16-inch height of the Ziyoo bed frame gives you 14 inches of clearance under the bed. That’s enough space to fit some big boxes or bins.
Taller sleepers will also appreciate the higher platform. They can sit on the bed with their feet touching the floor.
Some elderly sleepers may also find the 16-inch bed frame to be easier to get in and out of.
The Ziyoo bed frame has a steel frame and wooden slats. Combined, the two can support an impressive amount of weight – 3,500lbs to be specific.
This makes the Ziyoo bed frame an excellent choice for heavy sleepers and those who own a thick and heavy mattress (e.g. a latex or hybrid mattress).
Assembly is a 1-2 hour process. It goes faster with two people, but you can also do it on your own.
One thing to note about the Ziyoo 16” bed frame is that the slats are placed closer together compared to the Zinus Yelena. They are 4” apart, and should be able to support most kinds of mattresses.
Also, it comes ready with holes on both ends to attach a headboard or footboard. So you can style up your bed however you want.
Issues & Limitations
The metal legs are not recessed and it’s easy to stub your toes on them.
Once you finish assembling the frame, find a way to cover the legs with something like foam to protect your feet.
3. Best 18 Inch Bed Frame: Olee Sleep 18 Inch Tall Heavy Duty Mattress Foundation
18 inches is the highest you can go when it comes to bed frames. Our favorite 18 inch bed frame is the Olee Sleep heavy-duty mattress foundation.
- Lots of storage space.
- Great for tall sleepers.
- Heavy-duty frame with a 2,000lb capacity.
- Pre-drilled holes to attach a headboard.
- Not ideal for use with a thick mattress.
18-inch bed frames are the tallest you’ll find on the market. They are perfect for tall sleepers, those who want a lot more storage space under the bed, and anyone who loves the look of an extra-tall bed.
The Olee Sleep 18-inch mattress foundation has a clearance of 16.3 inches under the bed.
It has an all-steel construction including the frame itself as well as the slats. So it can support a lot of weight. Specifically, up to 2,000lbs.
Putting together the bed frame is easy, and all the parts and tools are included.
The Olee Sleep frame doesn't come with a headboard but there are slots on one side of it to attach whichever headboard you want.
Issues & Limitations
Make sure you understand that this is an extra-tall bed frame before you buy it. It may be difficult for some people to get in and out of bed.
It can also make a small low-ceiling room look even smaller.
We also don't recommend it if you have a thick mattress (anything over 10 inches tall). A thick mattress will make the bed even taller and more difficult to access.
4. Best High Wood Bed Frame: ZINUS Moiz 14” Wood Platform Bed Frame
Most tall bed frames are metal. That’s likely because it’s cheaper to use more metal than wood to make a tall bed frame.
The tallest wood bed frame we could find is the Zinus Moiz 14” platform bed frame.
- Solid wood frame that supports up to 700lbs.
- Includes plywood slats – no need for a boxspring.
- Easy to assemble.
- Available in several finishes.
- Not as much underbed storage compared to other 14” bed frames.
If you are not a big fan of metal frames, the Zinus Moiz is a great alternative. It’s still pretty tall at 14 inches high.
The frame is solid wood, so you can rest assured it will support your weight and that of the mattress. It has a capacity of 700lbs (except the twin size, which supports up to 350lbs).
The slats are plywood. You don't need a box spring for your mattress.
The bed frame is pretty easy to set up. It comes in a single box, not the 2 or 3 boxes most bed frames are packed in.
Setup takes about an hour and you can easily do it alone.
Note that the Zinus Moiz bed frame doesn't come with a headboard and there doesn't seem to be a way to easily attach one.
Issues & Limitations
The Zinus Moiz has 10.4 inches of clearance under the bed, which is almost two inches less than 14” metal bed frames.
It’s still a decent amount of storage space but some taller boxes and bins may not fit.
5. Best High Metal Bed Frame: Yaheetech Classic Metal Platform Bed Frame
Our favorite high metal bed frame is the 14 inch Yaheetech Classic metal platform bed frame.
Unlike most metal frames, the Yaheetech Classic comes as a complete bed with a headboard and footboard. We particularly love the Victorian/antique details.
- High underbed clearance.
- Stylish Victorian/vintage design.
- Includes headboard and footboard.
- Low price.
- Instructions and part labeling could be better.
The Yaheetech Classic bed frame features beautiful iron art on the headboard and footboard, which gives it a unique Victorian or antique look.
Everything is metal, including the slats.
That said, the Yaheetech Classic bed frame cannot hold as much weight as you’d expect. For the twin size, the capacity is 300lbs.
The full and Queen sizes are limited to 600lbs.
Heavy couples should be careful not to exceed the capacity. And remember the weight of your mattress also counts.
The Yaheetech Classic bed frame is 14 inches high with 12.5 inches of clearance. So you get a high sleeping surface and plenty of storage underneath.
Issues & Limitations
It takes longer than usual to assemble the Yaheetech Classic bed frame. Some people took 2 hours.
The reason is the poor instructions and unlabelled parts.
If you want a bed frame that’s really easy to assemble, go with any of the Zinus bed frames. No one beats Zinus when it comes to making bed frame assembly easy for customers.
6. Best High Bed Frame With Headboard: SHA CERLIN 14 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
The SHA CERLIN metal platform bed frame is another good choice if you want a bed frame that comes complete with a headboard and footboard.
The sleeping platform is 14 inches high, with adequate underbed clearance to store stuff.
- Includes headboard and footboard.
- Heavy-duty metal & wood construction with 800lbs capacity.
- Industrial/modern style.
- Lots of underbed storage.
- Instructions are a bit unclear.
- Slats are too far apart.
The SHA CERLIN bed frame is a good pick if you want a bed that’s more than just a basic frame.
The addition of a footboard and headboard adds character to the bed. We also love the use of both metal and wood, which creates a stylish industrial-modern look.
The SHA CERLIN bed frame is pretty strong and can hold up to 800lbs of weight. The slats are metal as are the legs, which ensures the frame can handle a lot of weight without wobbling or breaking.
Non-slip strips keep your mattress in place and rubber components prevent the bed from squeaking when you move.
The platform is 14 inches high, which leaves you with 12 inches of clearance under the bed for storage.
The headboard is 39” high. That’s a bit short and it might be covered up if you have a thick mattress and large pillows.
Issues & Limitations
The SHA CERLIN bed frame is a bit tedious to assemble. Certain parts have to go in a specific way, and the instruction manual is not very clear how exactly you should fit everything together.
It takes about 1-2 hours to assemble the bed frame. We highly recommend having someone around to help you.
Another issue with the SHA CERLIN bed frame is the too-wide spacing of the slats. It may not provide enough support for foam mattresses. It doesn't help that the slats are thin.
Many foam mattress owners had to use a plywood sheet or bunkie board between the slats and their mattress.
7. Best High Bed Frame With Storage: Harper & Bright Designs Upholstered Platform Bed with Storage Drawer
With most tall bed frames, you have to organize your own storage under the bed with boxes or bins.
If you want easier-to-use underbed storage, get the Harper & Bright Designs upholstered platform bed. It has a large drawer on one end but still leaves space for your boxes.
- Includes drawer.
- Good pick for those shopping for an upholstered bed.
- Sturdy metal frame.
- Versatile – you can use the drawer while also storing boxes and bins under the bed.
- Limited weight capacity.
The Harper & Bright Designs platform bed is one of the few tall bed frames with storage. Most beds with storage tend to be low profile.
The Harper platform bed measures almost 14 inches (13.7” to be specific) from the floor to the top of the slats. So you get that high sleeping surface you are looking for.
The storage drawer is at the rear side of the bed. It’s an open box with metal mesh sides and it’s attached to the upholstered footboard.
The drawer has caster wheels that sit on the floor. You access the drawer by pulling the footboard outwards.
The drawer is pretty big and can fit bulky stuff like pillows, comforters, winter wear, camping gear, and more.
Because the drawer is only on one end of the bed, you still have lots of open underbed space to keep boxes and whatever else you want.
The Harper & Bright Designs platform bed has a metal frame. Even the slats are metal.
Both the headboard and the footboard are upholstered.
Assembling the frame is a bit of work. We recommend setting aside at least two hours to do it and having someone else around to help you.
Issues & Limitations
The Queen size Harper & Bright Designs platform bed frame has a limited capacity of 500lbs. We don't recommend it for heavy couples.
The Twin size is limited to 250lbs. It’s more suitable for kids than adults. The weight of an average adult plus the weight of the mattress could easily exceed the capacity.
8. Best Minimalist High Bed Frame: ZINUS Joseph 18 Inch Metal Platform Bed Frame
If you are shopping for a modern minimalist bed frame, our top pick is the Zinus Joseph 18 inch metal platform bed frame.
The combination of the boxy frame and the extra-tall height makes the Zinus Joseph perfect for a modern decor bedroom.
- Beautiful minimalist style.
- Extra-tall frame – great for tall folks.
- Lots of storage space underneath.
- Easy to assemble.
- Not suitable for use with thick mattresses.
The Zinus Joseph bed frame is 18 inches high with 15.4 inches of clearance underneath.
That’s a whole lot of space to store your stuff. If you want to retain the minimalist look of the Joseph bed frame, you could leave it empty.
The black metal frame contrasting against the empty space underneath creates a sharp modern aesthetic.
The steel frame is super basic. It doesn't even have a headboard or footboard, and there’s no easy way to attach one.
But at least it comes with wood slats so you don't need a box spring.
The Zinus Joseph bed frame has a capacity of 700lbs (350lbs for the twin size). It’s not what we’d consider heavy-duty but it’s strong enough to support even heavy sleepers.
The simplicity of the Zinus Joseph bed frame makes it really easy to assemble. It took most people about 30 to 45 minutes to put it together.
It doesn't squeak at all, though you may need to occasionally re-tighten the bolts if you hear some noise.
Issues & Limitations
If you have a thick mattress (12 inches or taller), you should probably not get the Zinus Joseph 18 inch bed frame unless you don't mind climbing onto your bed.
9. Best Foldable High Bed Frame: AmazonBasics Foldable, 18″ Black Metal Platform Bed Frame
If you need a tall bed frame you can fold and stow away when it’s not in use, we recommend the AmazonBasics foldable metal bed frame.
It’s also a great pick if you want a zero-tool assembly high bed frame.
- Foldable design.
- No-tool assembly.
- Sturdy construction that can support heavy sleepers.
- Extra-tall height.
- Mattress slips on the slats.
- Not ideal for tall mattresses.
A foldable bed frame is great if you need a temporary bed. You can set it up when you need it and quickly fold it and store it away when it’s no longer in use.
Setting up or folding the AmazonBasics bed frame takes just a few minutes and requires absolutely no tools.
The AmazonBasics bed frame is available in a 14 inch or 18 inch version. We recommend the 18 incher if you want an extra-tall frame with lots of under-bed storage.
The frame comes complete with slats that can support any type of mattress. You don't need a box spring.
The steel frame is strong enough to support individuals weighing up to 265lbs. So the Queen or King size frames can support at least 700lbs of weight (weight of two people plus the mattress).
Issues & Limitations
A common complaint from customers is that mattresses slip easily on the AmazonBasics bed frame. It doesn't have any anti-slip strips like most bed frames.
A non-slip mattress pad or mat should help with this.
The other issue is the height of the AmazonBasics 18” frame. If you have a 12-inch or thicker mattress, it can make your bed overly high and difficult to get in and out for. We recommend the 14-inch frame instead.
10. Best Loft Bed Frame for Kids & Teens: DHP Junior Loft Bed Frame with Ladder
Above 18 inches, the next highest bed frame is a loft frame. Loft bed frames are great if you want enough under-bed space for a desk, shelf, or closet.
The DHP Junior Loft bed frame is made specifically for kids and teens. You can get it in a twin or full size.
- Great bed frame for kids.
- Study or storage space under the bed.
- Includes slats and a ladder.
- Guardrails for safety.
- The ladder is uncomfortable to climb.
The DHP loft bed is 50 inches high. The space under the bed is 36.5 inches high, providing enough space for a desk or a small closet or shelf.
The frame is all metal, including the slats, and can support a weight of up to 300lbs for the full size and 250lbs for the twin size.
It’s fairly easy to assemble, but it’s a 2-person job.
The DHP loft bed comes with a ladder and has guardrails all around the frame. Because of the height of the rails, you are limited to a 6” mattress.
Issues & Limitations
The biggest complaint from parents is that the ladder is uncomfortable, even painful, to climb. The metal steps are thin and can hurt feet when climbing.
You can find a way to cushion the steps or make sure your little one always has socks on when going up the ladder.
High Bed Frames Buying Guide
We’ve already covered the benefits of sleeping on a high bed frame (go back to the start of this guide to see them). Now, let’s talk about choosing the right tall bed frame for your needs.
Here’s what to consider when shopping for a high bed frame.
1. Type of Bed Frame
The most common, and most affordable, are metal bed frames. These range from basic boxy frames to complete metal beds that come with a headboard and footboard.
Metal bed frames tend to have a modern, industrial or vintage style.
If you need a warmer, more traditional-looking bed, look for a wood bed frame. The problem with wood bed frames is that it’s hard to find a tall one.
Almost all high bed frames are metal.
2. Height & Clearance
The ideal height of a tall bed frame depends on several factors:
- How thick is your mattress? If you have a 12 inch or thicker mattress, go with a moderately high bed frame (12-14 inches) to avoid making your bed too high.
- How tall are you? Taller folks will find a 16-18 inch bed frame perfect for their height.
- How much storage space do you need? The taller the bed frames the more clearance you have under the bed for storage.
- Aesthetics. An 18 inch bed frame will look quite different from a 14 inch bed frame. If, for instance, you have a low-ceiling bedroom, don't go beyond 14 inches. If, on the other hand, you have high ceilings or love high beds, try a 16 or 18 inch bed.
Some bed frames have a modern style, while others such as upholstered and wood beds are more traditional. You can also find antique, vintage, minimalist, and industrial-style beds.
Find a style that you like and which goes well with your bedroom.
Note that the variety of styles is limited if you are shopping specifically for a high bed frame. Most high bed frames have a modern style.
When buying a tall bed frame, make sure it comes with slats that can directly support your mattress.
The last thing you want is to place a box spring on an already tall bed frame. Add a mattress on top and your bed will be impossible to get in and out of without a ladder.
By the way, check that the slats are not too widely spaced. Some mattresses (mostly foam mattresses) need closely spaced slats (3-4 inches apart) for adequate support.
If the frame has slats that are too wide apart, you may need to use a bunkie board.
5. Headboard & Footboard
If you want a more traditional-looking bed, find one with a headboard, or both a headboard and footboard.
If you prefer attaching your own headboard, make sure the bed frame has pre-drilled holes to attach one or that it can be used with headboard brackets.
6. Weight Capacity
Check how much weight the bed frame can handle. This includes your weight as well as the weight of the mattress.
Most metal bed frames can handle up to 500lbs, with heavier duty metal frames having a higher capacity of 700-3500 pounds.
Most Wood frames can handle at least 700lbs of weight.
7. Ease of Assembly
Finally, check customer reviews to see how easy it is to assemble the bed frame.
Most tall bed frames take 1-2 hours to assemble. Check if you can assemble the bed frame alone or if it’s a 2-person job.
If you don't have time to assemble a bed frame, get a no-tool assembly bed frame. These types of bed frames take minutes to set up and require no tools.
Pros and Cons of Tall Bed Frames
- They are more comfortable to use for the elderly and taller people.
- They provide more storage space under the bed.
- You sleep further away from allergens and dust on the floor.
- A tall bed frame can help you sleep warmer.
- A high bed frame looks great in a big or high-ceilinged room.
- They can be awkward to use for some people.
- They don't look good in rooms with low ceilings.
- A tall bed frame can be too high when used with a thick mattress.
High & Tall Bed Frames: FAQs
How high are tall bed frames?
High bed frames start at about 14 inches high. That’s the distance from the floor to the sleeping platform.
You’ll also find 16-inch and 18-inch high bed frames.
We are yet to find a bed frame that’s taller than 18 inches. Anything taller than that is a loft bed.
How can I make my bed frame higher?
Get bed risers. They can add as much as 8 inches to the height of your bed frame.
Another option is to place a box spring or foundation on your bed frame. You can then put your mattress on the box spring.
How high should a bed be for seniors?
The ideal bed height for the elderly depends on a person’s height and whether they have a disability.
The most important thing is that they are able to get in and out of bed without straining their knees or back.
Ideally, the frame should be tall enough such that the mattress is at knee level.
Can a bed be too high?
Depending on your height and health, your bed can be too high. If you struggle to get on the bed or your feet don't touch the floor when sitting on the bed, it’s too high.
This can be problematic for seniors and anyone with a knee or leg injury.
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase a mattress after clicking a referral link or using a coupon code on this site. That said, all content and opinions on this site are my own and are NOT affected by these payments.
This site participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
*Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.