Leesa Legend is a luxury dual-coil hybrid mattress. It combines memory foam, micro-coils, and pocket coils to provide a soft, springy feel with no-sag support.
Puffy Royal is also a luxury mattress, but with an all-foam construction. Memory foam and polyfoam layers provide a medium comfort feel with a deeper than average body hug.
What's In This Comparison?
If you are looking for a luxury mattress, this mattress comparison is for you. We compare the hybrid Leesa Legend mattress vs. the all-foam Puffy Royal mattress.
Can a memory foam mattress feel as good as a pocket-coil mattress? Read on to find out.
We also compare Leesa Legend and Puffy Royal on construction, trial period, warranty, and pricing.
Both these mattresses are pricey. If you are looking for a more budget-friendly mattress, check out our comparison of Puffy vs. Leesa, the original mattresses that both companies sold when they launched.
To learn more about Puffy mattresses, read our Puffy mattress review and Puffy Lux mattress review. You can also compare the two in this in-depth Puffy vs. Puffy Lux comparison.
If you want a hybrid mattress but think the Leesa Legend is too expensive, try the Leesa Hybrid, previously called the Sapira mattress. It's cheaper and has the same luxury hybrid design. Read our full Leesa Hybrid review.
Leesa Legend vs. Puffy Royal Verdict: Which one Should You Buy?[one_half]
I gave Leesa Legend an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5.0
BUY LEESA LEGEND IF:
- You want a luxury pocket coil hybrid mattress.
- You want a mattress that feels plush but is also springy and supportive.
- You are a hot sleeper or live in a hot region.
I gave Puffy Royal an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5.0
BUY PUFFY ROYAL IF:
- You prefer the softer hug and ‘in the mattress' feel of a memory foam mattress over the bounciness of a hybrid mattress.
- You are a side sleeper or have hip/shoulder pain.
- Your partner turns and tosses a lot during sleep.
- You don't mind spending a bit more money on a luxury mattress.
- Leesa Legend is a dual coil hybrid mattress (two coil layers + foam) while Puffy Royal is an all-foam mattress.
- Leesa Legend is 12″ thick while the Puffy Royal mattress is 2″ thicker at 14″.
- Leesa Legend's hybrid construction gives it a medium-firm feel while Puffy Royal's memory foam construction results in a medium comfort feel.
- Leesa Legend offers a standard 10-year warranty while Puffy Royal offers a lifetime warranty.
- Both mattresses are more expensive than most online hybrid and memory foam mattresses. But Leesa Legend is the cheaper of the two. A Leesa Legend queen mattress currently costs $1,869 while a similar-sized Puffy Royal costs $2,395.
Mattress Construction Comparison
One of the biggest differences between Leesa Legend and Puffy Royal is construction.
Leesa Legend has a coil + foam hybrid construction, similar to most luxury mattresses (but with one unique feature). Puffy Royal, on the other hand, has all-foam layers.
Leesa Legend Construction
- The Leesa Legend mattress is 12″ thick.
- The ultra-soft and breathable Leesa Legend cover is made from organic cotton, Merino wool, and fiber from recycled bottles. It also has small amounts of rayon and spandex.
- Below the cover is a 1″ layer of hole-punched responsive foam. It provides quick responsiveness and ensures the surface of the mattress stays cool.
- An inch-thick layer of memory foam provides pressure relief under your shoulders, back, and hips.
- The third layer consists of micro-coils on the upper and lower sections and stabilizing foam in the midsection. This zoned design provides targeted support and pressure relief to different areas of the body.
- The base consists of 6″ pocket coils sandwiched between two 1″ layers of foam.
Puffy Royal Construction
- The Puffy Royal mattress is 14″ thick.
- The Puffy Royal mattress polyester cover is Oeko-Tex certified. It's soft, breathable and tear-resistant. By the way, the cover is removable and washable, a luxury most mattresses don't offer.
- Below the cover is a 1.5″ layer of gel memory foam. It provides instant pressure relief while the embedded gel beads ensure the bed stays cool.
- A 2″ layer of responsive memory foam provides deeper contouring and adds some bounciness to the mattress.
- The third layer consists of 2″ polyfoam that provides breathability and lumbar support.
- A 1.5″ layer provides further lumbar support to ensure your spine stays properly aligned. This layer is convoluted to increase airflow. Additionally, it has a zoned design that provides targeted pressure relief and support.
- The 7″ base is made from high-density foam that provides deep support and keeps the mattress from sagging. The thicker-than-average base is one of the reasons Puffy confidently offers a lifetime warranty.
Comfort and Firmness Comparison
Leesa Legend and Puffy Royal provide distinctly different comfort feels. Here's what to expect from each mattress.
Leesa Legend Comfort & Firmness
- Leesa Legend is a medium-firm mattress. But it doesn't feel anything like medium-firm foam mattresses. Instead, it has a plush yet springy feel from the soft comfort layers and micro-coils.
- The Leesa Legend mattress readily hugs your body, providing excellent contouring and pressure relief in all sleeping positions.
- But it does not bottom out. As you settle into the mattress, the thick pocket coil base provides firm responsiveness and deep compression support. Heavier sleepers will sleep comfortably on the Leesa Legend mattress.
Puffy Royal Comfort & Firmness
- Puffy Royal is a medium comfort mattress. This is not surprising considering it consists mostly of memory foam.
- Customers describe the Puffy Royal mattress as being soft but supportive. It hugs your body more closely than Leesa Legend, but still offers plenty of support to keep you from bottoming out.
- The extra-thick base ensures you enjoy good support regardless of your weight. Heavier sleepers will sink deeper into the mattress, but not too much that it affects their spinal alignment.
Sleeping Experience Comparison
Both Leesa Legend and Puffy Royal offer a luxury sleeping experience, but with a few significant differences that appeal to different types of sleepers. See which of the two mattresses fits your needs and preferences.
Leesa Legend Sleeping Experience
- The Leesa Legend perfectly balances among different aspects of a good sleeping experience: firm support from the coils, a pressure-relieving body hug from the memory foam and zoned micro-coils, and pleasant responsiveness from the two coil layers. Most types of sleepers will find the Leesa Legend mattress comfortable.
- The Puffy Royal mattress has better edge support than most all-foam mattresses, but Leesa Legend has even more solid edge support. If you sleep near the edge of the bed or like sitting on the side of the bed, get Leesa Legend.
- Thanks to the two coil layers and the breathable cover, the Leesa Legend mattress sleeps cool.
Based on these points, we recommend Leesa Legend for back sleepers, side sleepers, and heavier sleepers.
We do not recommend it for stomach sleepers. The upper layers are a bit too plush to keep your body properly aligned.
Puffy Royal Sleeping Experience
- Puffy Royal is great for those who love the soft hug of memory foam. It contours closely to your body, making it an especially good choice for those with back, shoulder, or hip pain.
- The thick base layer provides adequate support even for heavier sleepers. There's no sag or bottoming out.
- If you are not a big fan of bouncy mattresses, you'll love Puffy Royal. It has minimal responsiveness, which makes it a good choice for couples who toss and turn a lot. The all-foam construction easily absorbs any disturbances from your partner.
- Puffy Royal sleeps cool, but there's a limit to its cooling performance. The all-foam construction is not as good for airflow as a hybrid design. If you sleep extra-hot or live in a place that gets warm nights during certain times of the year, get the Leesa Legend instead.
Leesa Legend is cheaper than Puffy Royal, which is surprising since hybrid mattresses typically cost more than memory foam mattresses.
Here are the latest prices for both mattresses.
|Size||Leesa Legend||Puffy Royal|
If you want to break up the cost into smaller payments, Puffy offers financing through Klarna while Leesa works with Affirm.
Warranty and Returns
Leesa Legend Warranty and Returns
- You have a 100 nights to test the Leesa Legend mattress at home. There's a mandatory 30-night break-in period, during which you cannot return the mattress. Returns are free.
- If you keep the mattress, Leesa offers a 10-year non-prorated warranty. That's a shorter warranty than we expect from a hybrid mattress of this price range.
Puffy Royal Warranty and Returns
- Puffy offers a 101-night trial period with no mandatory break-in period. You can return the mattress as soon as the second day (though we recommend giving it at least two weeks).
- Puffy offers a lifetime non-prorated warranty, much longer than we normally see with memory foam mattresses. But this is a $2,000+ luxury mattress, so no surprises there.
Shipping and Delivery
Leesa Legend Shipping and Delivery
- Leesa ships their mattresses free of charge to all 50 states.
- In-home setup and old mattress removal (white glove delivery) are available for an extra $150.
Puffy Royal Shipping & Delivery
- Puffy ships free to the 48 states on contiguous US and charges extra for shipping to Alaska and Hawaii.
- At this time, Puffy does not offer white glove delivery. We recommend having someone around to help you carry the (significantly heavy) mattress inside and set it up.
We hope we've made your decision easier. Both Leesa Legend and Puffy Royal are great mattresses, but they suit different types of sleepers.
Here's our final recommendation. If you love a plush, supportive and bouncy mattress, get Leesa Legend. If you've always loved memory foam mattresses (or would like to switch to a memory foam mattress), get the Puffy Royal.
Where To Get The Best Deal
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase a mattress after clicking a referral link or using a coupon code on this site. That said, all content and opinions on this site are my own and are NOT affected by these payments.
This site participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
*Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.